Our confidence and self-esteem are the two characteristics in our lives that make us out as either being a lonely soul or a go-getter or anything in between.
Whether you are on the quiet side or maybe you are usually the center of attraction, good self-esteem is important. It has a huge impact on your life experiences.
To boost your confidence, you can follow the following steps:
1. Be brave – if you fear something, face it head on and get it out of the way. Your fears will not go away until you deal with it. It might be that you are afraid to lose your job, you are afraid to discuss something about work with a colleague, you have a fear of heights or spiders, you fear that you are going to fail a subject that you are writing an exam about, maybe you fear that your health may deteriorate. Go for a medical check-up, study harder, go and discuss your work situation with your supervisor and learn how to cope with your fear. You will empower yourself and this will lead to a better self-esteem.
2. Nurture friendships – Strengthen your inner self with support from family and friends. Social contact and positive feed-back is crucial for a healthy self-confidence. Surround yourself with people who love you. Treasure your friendships. Love your family.
3. Embrace challenges – tackle any challenge and get it out of the way. You will build confidence for all other aspects of your life. Each challenge that you overcome will make the next challenge easier to resolve. Take it one step at a time and complete it.
4. Breathe – Sometimes when we get anxious or nervous, our breathing becomes erratic and our hearts beat faster. Stop, breathe and calm yourself down. If you have to go for an interview, sit and take a few deep breaths to calm yourself and relax your diaphragm and core.
5. Get social – taking part in social activities with people with whom you share hobbies and interests will boost your self-confidence and keep you busy. Meeting new people and sharing common goals make you feel like you belong to a group and it boosts your self-esteem. You might even find that you are a leader amongst people.
6. Careful what you think – guide your thoughts. Whenever you have a negative thought, immediately replace it with a positive one. Think only uplifting and positive thoughts. Get in the habit to immediately replace negative thought patterns with good ones. Very quickly it will become a rewarding habit.
7. Keep perspective – Life is not perfect. Bad things happen. We all carry baggage. We have external and internal struggles. It is all about your attitude about these struggles that makes the difference. Keep your struggles in a positive frame of mind. Tell yourself that this too shall pass. Make the best at resolving issues that bother you and hinder you from growing spiritually.
8. Get physical – So many people have changed their lives by starting to do exercise. You will feel great, energized, look good, lose weight and feel happy. All these things will attract more positivity to you as well as positive people and this will be so beneficial for your all-over confidence and self-esteem.
9. Change your ways – Replace bad habits with good ones. It is immensely liberating and empowering. Swop fizzy drinks for orange juice, chips for fruit, bread for potatoes. Small changes lead to huge improvements.
10. Sleep more – Sleeping is highly under-estimated. If you sleep enough you will have more confidence to do things, change things and initiate things because you will focus better and concentrate better and have the willpower to make a difference.
“Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit” EE. Cummings